Pages

Thursday, March 6, 2014

Remember Who You Are

When I was a freshman in college, I met a little old lady named Donna.  I had gone for a walk to the temple that day when I passed her house.  She was getting her mail just then, and said hello.  I don’t know why I stopped to talk with her, but I did.  We chatted for a couple minutes, after which she invited me to stop by whenever I wanted to.

It was during this time that my own grandma was diagnosed with cancer.  I had no car, and very few opportunities to be with my grandma or help her in any way.  So I adopted Donna as a grandma.  I felt better after visiting with her, and I hoped that she felt better as well.  It was obvious that she was lonely, so I let her talk.  She told me her life story, her concerns, and her goals.  No matter what she talked about, something she said would be exactly what I needed to hear at that time.

One day, Donna told me that she was afraid of losing her memory.  For her age, she had an impressive memory, but she was beginning to forget little things, and even names of people she knew.  She told me about a conversation that she had with a relative about memory.  This person asked her if she could remember who she was.  She replied, “Yes, my name is Donna, and I’m a daughter of God.”  They replied, “Well, that’s all you need to know.”

I’ve thought about that a lot since then.  Even with all of her concerns, health problems, and heartache, Donna was happy.  She knew who she was, and it brought her peace.
I decided to write this blog after a stressful day when I was feeling a little lost.  I got out a note book and wrote on the top of the page, “Who am I?”  This is the list I came up with.
1- I am Kylie Maria Lawson.
2- I am a wife.
3- I am a Mormon.
4- I am a daughter of God.

I think that half the battle in this life is learning who we are and then remembering.  Because after I wrote out that list, I was able to feel calm again.

God is our Father.  He loves us.  Yes, we have to lean to choose the right.  We have weaknesses to overcome.  But I believe that as we turn to God in prayer and scripture study, He will show us that we are His and He loves us and has a plan for us.  He will show us that plan and lead us back to Him.  And knowing that we are His can give us strength and power like nothing else can.  The most powerful force in the world is love, and the only thing more powerful than loving someone else is being loved.

So do me a favor.  If you aren’t sure who you are, say a prayer.  It doesn’t have to be long or flowery.  Just ask God if He is there and if He knows you.  I promise you that He will answer if you pray in faith.

Remember who you are!  Because you are His.

No comments:

Post a Comment